How on earth did the weekend go by so fast? Well..at least it is Meatless Monday. Aren’t you excited? Well you should be because I found a recipe on a newly discovered website called Veggie Num Num.
Preparation time: 35mins
- 250g (8 oz) Fettuccine
- 1 tbs olive oil or butter
- 1 fresh red chilli, diced (or 1 tsp diced bottled chilli)
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 6 large flat mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup low fat evaporated milk or non-dairy milk
- 1 large bunch of fresh spinach, roughly chopped (you can use frozen spinach if fresh is unavailable)
- ½ fresh grated vegetarian parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- 5-6 semi-dried tomatoes, diced
Cook the pasta in rapidly boiling water to the packet instructions; strain and rinse. Set aside.
Heat about 1 tbs of olive oil or butter in a large heavy based pan; add the chilli and garlic and cook until soft and fragrant.
Add the mushrooms and cook until soft and beautifully brown, about 3-4 minutes. Season with ground sea salt and freshly cracked pepper; toss well.
Reduce heat and add the evaporated milk; slowly stir over low heat until liquid has reduced by about ¾; should take around 5 minutes.
Add the fettuccine, spinach, parmesan, parsley and semi-dried tomatoes.
Toss well until spinach is wilted and fettuccine is well mixed through; season to taste.
Served topped with a little extra parsley and fresh cracked pepper; great with crusty bread or on its own.
Variations: I also do a similar version omitting the mushrooms and semi-dried tomato but top the pasta with a fried free-range egg to serve. Yum!!
Hope everyone had a good weekend. Enjoy your Meatless Monday!