Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day Dreaming

You would think that after watching Kitchen Nightmares I would be completely turned off about starting up a restaurant someday...but actually, it is quite the opposite. I guess you could say that I am learning from other people's mistakes, and taking in the tips that Gordon Ramsay gives them. Of course it is still reality TV and you have to keep up a filter of what is real and what is fake but here are some things that I have learned so far...

1. Being in debt blows, and can lead to suicide.

2. Location, Location, Location.

3. Not only does the food have to be good, but it HAS to be fresh. That one is kind of a no-brainer but apparently some restaurant owners failed to realize this before their visit with Ramsay.

4. Good Service = happy customers. No one likes to wait..or to have their food come out wrong.

5. You need a good team. Management can make a world of difference. A restaurant team that gets along and can work in an efficient organized manner is key.

6. You gotta know what you are doing.

Number six leads me to ponder. I would have no idea what I was doing at this point. Luckily I am not planning on opening a restaurant anytime soon, and I couldn't even if I wanted to. But if the time comes that I could actually reach this goal somewhere down the road I would do whatever I could to make sure it would be a success. One of my problems is that although I have a passion for food and cooking, I have a hate for crunching numbers. The whole business part would not be as fun for me...which obviously could be a bit of a problem. I suck at math...so either I study business or find a very trustworthy person to do the dirty work for me. That could be rough.

Anyways, so lets say somewhere down the road I get to open my restaurant. Where will it be located? What kind of food would I serve? Well, I would say that I wouldn't mind opening up a restaurant somewhere in old town Auburn. I love it there. Lots of competition however. As for the food, and style of the restaurant..well I am still thinking on that one. To be determined...

2 comments:

  1. Never, ever give up on your dreams, hopes, and goals...ever...no matter how long it takes or bumps on the road along the way. Love ya mucho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are developing a passion and learning so much about food preparation. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete