Thursday, June 10, 2010

Nervous Laughter

After trying my hardest on many different occasions to abstain from using “lol” in my blog posts I have come to realize that I use it way too much in everyday chat conversations and e-mails. It is probably because I have a real life nervous laugh habit.

So in real life when I would just nervous laugh like a dork I find myself wanting to insert a “lol”. Least I am honest though. When I type “lol” I am actually laughing out loud. ( but it doesn’t necessarily mean something is funny unfortunately ) I don’t commonly use the more forgotten form of “lol” which many of you may know as “rofl”. I usually settle for a higher degree of laughter and use “haha” or if it is really funny I use “HAHA” or “HaHa”. I feel that if I used “rofl” that it would make me a liar because I very rarely find myself rolling on the floor laughing. There are only a few things in life that deserve floor rolling laughter.

Another form of “lol” that I never use is “lmfao” #1 it’s too freaking long. You might as well just write HAHAHAhahhaahhahahahah because to me, that would better represent something funny and it is a universal sign of laughter. “lmfao” just seems like an abbreviation that was created by a pubescent teenager who still giggles when someone says penis, or boobs. You just giggled didn’t you? 

I would like to meet whoever invented the infamous “lol” abbreviation. After all, they did play a huge role in our current ways of text communication. However, I am  not sure if I would shake their hand or slap them across the face for causing those who suffer from nervous laughter to overuse the word and forever annoy their friends, family, and co-workers.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how the laugh has evolved?! I think we all have our own form of LOL... For example...

    Bahahahaha! (I use a B in front when I laugh REALLY hard) You like that, don't you?

    And I totally giggled when you said boobs and penis. My giggle is like this: teehee!

    :) Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think nervous laughter is a way of saying, "I hear what your saying, but I have nothing to say back that is witty or interesting at the moment, so i'll just laugh since everyone likes to think they are funny."
    It's really just a selfless act of affirmation. You're so giving.
    .ch
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and just for future reference in case you were wondering, nothing says encouragement and 'I love you' like elitist pessimistic sarcastic negativity!

    ReplyDelete