It is Saturday morning, and it seems some sort of bed bug has crawled into my head and unlocked my childhood memories.
As a kid, Saturdays could go one of two ways. They could be full of sunshine and fun, or..well, full of chores and video game hangovers. A Good Saturday would depend on a few different factors. There were factors that contributed to an excellent Saturday, and factors that contributed to a not so excellent Saturday.
1.You got to have a friend sleep over, and managed to go to bed at a decent time.
2. Not only did you go to bed at a decent time, you didn't make a mess.
3. Your sleep over pal is not getting picked up until later that evening.Yay!
4. Mom is in fact making pancakes. Mmmm no one makes pancakes like
5. Your friend brought their bike. Which means a ride to McDonalds for lunch, enough star thistle and burrs stuck in your socks to make your feet bleed, and an opportunity to show off your mad bike skillz.
6. You don't have any homework to leave for the last minute.
1. You were not allowed to have a friend sleep over, or none of your friends were allowed to sleep over.
2. You were allowed to have a friend sleep over, but you stayed up all night, and made a mess of your room.
3. You are now required to clean your room.
4. You have a "stayed up all night doing who knows what hangover."
5. You pissed off your parents in the process.
6. Mom's pancakes were made with anger instead of love.
7. Your ride to McDonalds for lunch results in stomach cramps, mad diarrhea, and you beef it trying to show off your mad bike skillz.
8. Your friend forgot their bike, or they are lame and just don't have one.
9. You find yourself consistently asking your "friend" every hour when they are getting picked up.
10. You have a butt load of homework that you "forgot" about until 9:00pm on Sunday night.
There are so many more factors I could add to this list. What are some of the things that could make or break your Saturdays as a kid? What were your favorite shows to watch as a kid?
Just for kicks and giggles I will leave you with some of my favorite Saturday cartoons I watched as I kid...or as a teen. (shhh...) Unfortunately the theme songs are all cut because of copyright issues. Enjoy!
Rocko's Modern Life