Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Fears



Yesterday, I posted the quote ""Many complain of their own laziness, but laziness, like money, doesn't really exist except to represent something else." In case you didn't read yesterday's blog...I found this quote in my journal that I wrote two years ago. I wasn't sure why I originially wrote it down, but I thought it was meant to be found to help me fight my packing procrastination. I now realize why I wrote it down, and that it has a completely different meaning to it. I definitely need to fight the urge to procrastinate on packing up all my crap, but the true meaning of this quote was to represent procrastination in my writing.

In my creative non-fiction class yesterday, we were sent home with an assignment. Our assignment was to write about something that inspires us, describe it in detail, and make it appealing to all senses. We can use 1st person, 3rd person, present or past tense, it just has to stay consistant. Not too difficult right? The assignment itself is not difficult, but the barrier I have set up in my mind is extremely hard to break through. I can't think of what to write about, how to write it, and am terrified of writing something absolutely horrible. Knowing me, I will drive myself nuts and not get it done until tomorrow morning before class. So like the quote says laziness does not exist except to represent something else... in my case laziness represents fear which then translates into writers block.

How do you overcome your fears? In life, or in writing?

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Write about how running, bike riding, or how exercise in general inspires you. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. in life, i just think about times when i've been in a similar situation and overcame it. or... i just i try something and hope it works. for me, taking action relieves a lot of stress.

    in writing, i just say whatever, and then edit later. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I steal the Nike "Just Do It". Most of the time its not as scarey as you think. Most of the time I hype myself all up. Once its over I realize its not really that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could write about your passion for nutrition, and how corporate America makes it difficult for anyone to stay healthy with all the crap they add to our food, or all the pesticides they use producing it. Hmmmm, or yyour passion for running and how it makes you feel. Once you start whatever the topic, the words will flow, you are a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know that anyone would want to read a descriptive paragraph on my love for nutrition. lol thanks for the advice though :)

    ReplyDelete