Monday, February 22, 2010

Yay For Meatless Monday!

I admit I was having a tough time this morning trying to figure out what to blog about which is hard to believe because I lead such an interesting life right? ( I'm kidding in case you didn't notice ) but then I remembered it's Meatless Monday! I know you have been looking forward to this day allll week. In case you missed out last Monday, and have no idea what Meatless Monday is well, it is kind of self explanatory but the reasoning behind it is to help reduce meat consumption by 15% in order to improve personal health and the health of our planet.

So in order to help you give Meatless Monday's a try, I will post the meatless recipe of the day. It feels like a pasta night to me so here it is…

pasta-broccoli-rabe-fd-lg

A classic combination of bitter greens and sweet golden raisins tossed with pasta and beans for a quick meal.

SERVINGS
4

COOK TIME
20

TOTAL TIME
40

INGREDIENTS
1 package (16 ounces) penne or ziti pasta
Salt
2 bunches broccoli rabe (about 12 ounces each), tough stems trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed with side of chef's knife
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 can (15 to 19 ounces) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup golden raisins
Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

PREPARATION
1. In large saucepot, prepare pasta in boiling salted water as label directs.

2. Meanwhile, in another large saucepot, heat 4 quarts water to boiling. Add broccoli rabe, and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until thickest parts of stems are tender. Drain broccoli rabe; cool slightly. Cut broccoli rabe into 2-inch pieces.

3. Wipe saucepot dry. Add oil, and heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add garlic and crushed red pepper, and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add broccoli rabe, garbanzo beans, and raisins, and cook about 3 minutes to heat through, stirring often. Remove saucepot from heat.

4. When pasta has cooked to desired doneness, remove 2/3 cup pasta cooking water; reserve. Drain pasta. Add pasta, reserved pasta cooking water, and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt to broccoli rabe mixture; toss well. Serve with Parmesan if you like.

Recipe Courtesy of The Daily Green at www.thedailygreen.com

Have any of you tried a Meatless Monday yet? Will this be your first time? Are you considering it? Or do you think it would be just plain crazy to give up meat on Mondays?

4 comments:

  1. This looks good! I'm glad I found your blog, I'm a vegetarian trying my way into veganism and I could use new recipes. I love meatless meals! Thanks for sharing!!

    xo anastasia b

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good! I make one that is almost just like this one, so thanks for teaching me to trick it up a little :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try this one out for sure. It looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always up for meatless meals. Yay for meatless Monday!

    ReplyDelete